TF in GSoC?


VM (Vicky) Brasseur <vmb@...>
 

The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer of Code open on January 15th:

 

https://opensource.googleblog.com/2018/11/google-summer-of-code-15-years-strong.html

 

Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?

 

--V


Valentine Sinitsyn
 

Hi Vicky,

That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were discussing internships budget for 2019.

I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.

Valentin

On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer of Code open on January 15^th :
https://opensource.googleblog.com/2018/11/google-summer-of-code-15-years-strong.html
Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?
--V__


VM (Vicky) Brasseur <vmb@...>
 

I've been thinking about this a lot [1] since I started the thread. I totally agree with Valentin that this could be an excellent way to get external contributors. However, upon reflection I don't think TF is ready for this.

 

For starters, no one else replied to the thread, so there isn't much enthusiasm for the idea. So that's a non-starter right there.

 

As importantly, (and this was the thinking part that I did) TF needs to get a lot more of its processes nailed down before it can support student interns. From all reports, it's currently difficult for experienced developers to contribute, let alone students.

 

But this may be an opportunity anyway. Could the community use this as a target? Could we get TF to the point where its processes are settled enough that we could support a couple of interns? That seems like a worthy goal, and something to aim for in 2019.

 

What do people think of that idea? Would it make sense to use GSoC as a very well defined focal point for all of the process work that we need to do to make it easier for folks to contribute?

 

--V

 

[1] I even attended the Conservancy IRC office hours for projects wanting to apply to GSoC:

https://gist.github.com/vmbrasseur/4aedde7efe0ab11177231e240320d392

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Valentine Sinitsyn <valesini@...>
Reply-To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?

 

Hi Vicky,

 

That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were

discussing internships budget for 2019.

 

I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should

apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.

 

Valentin

 

On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:

The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer

of Code open on January 15^th :

Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?

--V__

 

 

 


Valentine Sinitsyn
 

Hi,

Sounds like a viable goal for me. Having processes ready is just a piece of a puzzle though; we also should have enough committers (or active contributors) willing to mentor during the program.

On 16.01.2019 6:58, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
I've been thinking about this a lot [1] since I started the thread. I totally agree with Valentin that this could be an excellent way to get external contributors. However, upon reflection I don't think TF is ready for this.
For starters, no one else replied to the thread, so there isn't much enthusiasm for the idea. So that's a non-starter right there.
As importantly, (and this was the thinking part that I did) TF needs to get a lot more of its processes nailed down before it can support student interns. From all reports, it's currently difficult for experienced developers to contribute, let alone students.
But this may be an opportunity anyway. Could the community use this as a target? Could we get TF to the point where its processes are settled enough that we could support a couple of interns? That seems like a worthy goal, and something to aim for in 2019.
What do people think of that idea? Would it make sense to use GSoC as a very well defined focal point for all of the process work that we need to do to make it easier for folks to contribute?
--V
[1] I even attended the Conservancy IRC office hours for projects wanting to apply to GSoC:
https://gist.github.com/vmbrasseur/4aedde7efe0ab11177231e240320d392
*From: *<tsc@lists.tungsten.io> on behalf of Valentine Sinitsyn <valesini@yandex-team.ru>
*Reply-To: *"tsc@lists.tungsten.io" <tsc@lists.tungsten.io>
*Date: *Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM
*To: *"tsc@lists.tungsten.io" <tsc@lists.tungsten.io>
*Subject: *Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?
Hi Vicky,
That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were
discussing internships budget for 2019.
I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should
apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.
Valentin
On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer
of Code open on January 15^th :
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__opensource.googleblog.com_2018_11_google-2Dsummer-2Dof-2Dcode-2D15-2Dyears-2Dstrong.html&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=0cYN93Q5MZlZ9D9uWfBM6Q&m=LqADnI0A6sLIehG-gBW5yOwDeXpeAa9kOeN7BCaUGcY&s=VvmkjTV9I0vXbzjk2A7TbSUoFP2zOf8O9qX7-mqvDRI&e=
Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?
--V__
--
Валентин Синицын
https://staff.yandex-team.ru/valesini


marschke@...
 

 

 

In general we need more people involved  in TF and not just coders!  There are a lot of people who support Juniper’s contrail from a PS or support level, but have not dipped their toe into TF.  What can we do to entice them?

 

Doug Marschke

CTO

www.sdnessentials.com

JNCIE-SP #41, JNCIE-ENT #3

415-902-5702 (cell)

415-340-3112 (office)

 

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> On Behalf Of Valentine Sinitsyn
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:28 AM
To: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?

 

Hi,

Sounds like a viable goal for me. Having processes ready is just a piece
of a puzzle though; we also should have enough committers (or active
contributors) willing to mentor during the program.

On 16.01.2019 6:58, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
> I've been thinking about this a lot [1] since I started the thread. I
> totally agree with Valentin that this could be an excellent way to get
> external contributors. However, upon reflection I don't think TF is
> ready for this.
>
> For starters, no one else replied to the thread, so there isn't much
> enthusiasm for the idea. So that's a non-starter right there.
>
> As importantly, (and this was the thinking part that I did) TF needs to
> get a lot more of its processes nailed down before it can support
> student interns. From all reports, it's currently difficult for
> experienced developers to contribute, let alone students.
>
> But this may be an opportunity anyway. Could the community use this as a
> target? Could we get TF to the point where its processes are settled
> enough that we could support a couple of interns? That seems like a
> worthy goal, and something to aim for in 2019.
>
> What do people think of that idea? Would it make sense to use GSoC as a
> very well defined focal point for all of the process work that we need
> to do to make it easier for folks to contribute?
>
> --V
>
> [1] I even attended the Conservancy IRC office hours for projects
> wanting to apply to GSoC:
>
> https://gist.github.com/vmbrasseur/4aedde7efe0ab11177231e240320d392
>
> *From: *<tsc@...> on behalf of Valentine Sinitsyn
> <valesini@...>
> *Reply-To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Date: *Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM
> *To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Subject: *Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?
>
> Hi Vicky,
>
> That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were
>
> discussing internships budget for 2019.
>
> I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should
>
> apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.
>
> Valentin
>
> On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
>
> The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer
>
> of Code open on January 15^th :
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__opensource.googleblog.com_2018_11_google-2Dsummer-2Dof-2Dcode-2D15-2Dyears-2Dstrong.html&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=0cYN93Q5MZlZ9D9uWfBM6Q&m=LqADnI0A6sLIehG-gBW5yOwDeXpeAa9kOeN7BCaUGcY&s=VvmkjTV9I0vXbzjk2A7TbSUoFP2zOf8O9qX7-mqvDRI&e=
>
> Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?
>
> --V__
>
>

--
Валентин Синицын
https://staff.yandex-team.ru/valesini


Ian Rae
 

Some of the issues are tried to the incredibly slow process of moving to the LFN and addressing a lot of the blockers to attracting and enabling new community members. Now is probably the right time to invest in content and processes and marketing, with the migration pretty much complete.

The GSoC, well managed, could be a good opportunity but for certain we need other initiatives as well.


Ian Rae  
CEO | PDG
c: 514.944.4008

CloudOps | Cloud Platform and Networking Solutions
www.cloudops.com | 423 Saint-Nicolas | Montreal | Canada


On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 7:43 PM <dmarschke@...> wrote:

 

 

In general we need more people involved  in TF and not just coders!  There are a lot of people who support Juniper’s contrail from a PS or support level, but have not dipped their toe into TF.  What can we do to entice them?

 

Doug Marschke

CTO

www.sdnessentials.com

JNCIE-SP #41, JNCIE-ENT #3

415-902-5702 (cell)

415-340-3112 (office)

 

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> On Behalf Of Valentine Sinitsyn
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:28 AM
To: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?

 

Hi,

Sounds like a viable goal for me. Having processes ready is just a piece
of a puzzle though; we also should have enough committers (or active
contributors) willing to mentor during the program.

On 16.01.2019 6:58, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
> I've been thinking about this a lot [1] since I started the thread. I
> totally agree with Valentin that this could be an excellent way to get
> external contributors. However, upon reflection I don't think TF is
> ready for this.
>
> For starters, no one else replied to the thread, so there isn't much
> enthusiasm for the idea. So that's a non-starter right there.
>
> As importantly, (and this was the thinking part that I did) TF needs to
> get a lot more of its processes nailed down before it can support
> student interns. From all reports, it's currently difficult for
> experienced developers to contribute, let alone students.
>
> But this may be an opportunity anyway. Could the community use this as a
> target? Could we get TF to the point where its processes are settled
> enough that we could support a couple of interns? That seems like a
> worthy goal, and something to aim for in 2019.
>
> What do people think of that idea? Would it make sense to use GSoC as a
> very well defined focal point for all of the process work that we need
> to do to make it easier for folks to contribute?
>
> --V
>
> [1] I even attended the Conservancy IRC office hours for projects
> wanting to apply to GSoC:
>
> https://gist.github.com/vmbrasseur/4aedde7efe0ab11177231e240320d392
>
> *From: *<tsc@...> on behalf of Valentine Sinitsyn
> <valesini@...>
> *Reply-To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Date: *Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM
> *To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Subject: *Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?
>
> Hi Vicky,
>
> That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were
>
> discussing internships budget for 2019.
>
> I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should
>
> apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.
>
> Valentin
>
> On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
>
> The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer
>
> of Code open on January 15^th :
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__opensource.googleblog.com_2018_11_google-2Dsummer-2Dof-2Dcode-2D15-2Dyears-2Dstrong.html&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=0cYN93Q5MZlZ9D9uWfBM6Q&m=LqADnI0A6sLIehG-gBW5yOwDeXpeAa9kOeN7BCaUGcY&s=VvmkjTV9I0vXbzjk2A7TbSUoFP2zOf8O9qX7-mqvDRI&e=
>
> Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?
>
> --V__
>
>

--
Валентин Синицын
https://staff.yandex-team.ru/valesini


VM (Vicky) Brasseur <vmb@...>
 

There's still a lot of migration to go: CI/CD and the build/release process still need to be de-Juniperised. That's going to be a big change (TF currently uses Zuul, which isn't supported by LF). So we're not quite out of those woods yet. ;-)

 

That's neither here nor there, though. We'll all have to keep working on TF through that process so if folks don't think it'll be too confusing for student (assuming their mentor helps them a lot) then it shouldn't be a blocker to GSoC?

 

If we want to go forward with this, then we'll need:

 

 

And we'd need it all before the February 6th project application deadline: https://opensource.googleblog.com/2019/01/seeking-projects-for-gsoc-2019.html

Do we think we can get the necessary information by then? And that we can follow through well so the students have a good experience?

 

I've added this to the agenda for today's CC meeting: https://wiki.tungsten.io/display/TUN/2019-01-18+CC+Meeting+Minutes

 

--V

 

 

From: <tsc@...> on behalf of Ian Rae <irae@...>
Reply-To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 5:57 PM
To: "tsc@..." <tsc@...>
Subject: Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?

 

Some of the issues are tried to the incredibly slow process of moving to the LFN and addressing a lot of the blockers to attracting and enabling new community members. Now is probably the right time to invest in content and processes and marketing, with the migration pretty much complete.

 

The GSoC, well managed, could be a good opportunity but for certain we need other initiatives as well.

 


Ian Rae  
CEO | PDG
c: 514.944.4008

CloudOps | Cloud Platform and Networking Solutions
www.cloudops.com | 423 Saint-Nicolas | Montreal | Canada

 

 

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 7:43 PM <dmarschke@...> wrote:

 

 

In general we need more people involved  in TF and not just coders!  There are a lot of people who support Juniper’s contrail from a PS or support level, but have not dipped their toe into TF.  What can we do to entice them?

 

Doug Marschke

CTO

www.sdnessentials.com

JNCIE-SP #41, JNCIE-ENT #3

415-902-5702 (cell)

415-340-3112 (office)

 

From: tsc@... <tsc@...> On Behalf Of Valentine Sinitsyn
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2019 5:28 AM
To: tsc@...
Subject: Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?

 

Hi,

Sounds like a viable goal for me. Having processes ready is just a piece
of a puzzle though; we also should have enough committers (or active
contributors) willing to mentor during the program.

On 16.01.2019 6:58, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
> I've been thinking about this a lot [1] since I started the thread. I
> totally agree with Valentin that this could be an excellent way to get
> external contributors. However, upon reflection I don't think TF is
> ready for this.
>
> For starters, no one else replied to the thread, so there isn't much
> enthusiasm for the idea. So that's a non-starter right there.
>
> As importantly, (and this was the thinking part that I did) TF needs to
> get a lot more of its processes nailed down before it can support
> student interns. From all reports, it's currently difficult for
> experienced developers to contribute, let alone students.
>
> But this may be an opportunity anyway. Could the community use this as a
> target? Could we get TF to the point where its processes are settled
> enough that we could support a couple of interns? That seems like a
> worthy goal, and something to aim for in 2019.
>
> What do people think of that idea? Would it make sense to use GSoC as a
> very well defined focal point for all of the process work that we need
> to do to make it easier for folks to contribute?
>
> --V
>
> [1] I even attended the Conservancy IRC office hours for projects
> wanting to apply to GSoC:
>
> https://gist.github.com/vmbrasseur/4aedde7efe0ab11177231e240320d392
>
> *From: *<tsc@...> on behalf of Valentine Sinitsyn
> <valesini@...>
> *Reply-To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Date: *Friday, January 4, 2019 at 11:46 AM
> *To: *"tsc@..." <tsc@...>
> *Subject: *Re: [TF TSC] TF in GSoC?
>
> Hi Vicky,
>
> That's exactly the question I asked some months ago when we were
>
> discussing internships budget for 2019.
>
> I have some prior experience as a mentor in QEMU, and I think TF should
>
> apply: it's a good way to get some new external contributors.
>
> Valentin
>
> On 05.01.2019 0:41, VM (Vicky) Brasseur wrote:
>
> The applications for mentoring organisations for the 2019 Google Summer
>
> of Code open on January 15^th :
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__opensource.googleblog.com_2018_11_google-2Dsummer-2Dof-2Dcode-2D15-2Dyears-2Dstrong.html&d=DwICaQ&c=HAkYuh63rsuhr6Scbfh0UjBXeMK-ndb3voDTXcWzoCI&r=0cYN93Q5MZlZ9D9uWfBM6Q&m=LqADnI0A6sLIehG-gBW5yOwDeXpeAa9kOeN7BCaUGcY&s=VvmkjTV9I0vXbzjk2A7TbSUoFP2zOf8O9qX7-mqvDRI&e=
>
> Is this something TF would be interested in/equipped to manage?
>
> --V__
>
>

--
Валентин Синицын
https://staff.yandex-team.ru/valesini