Re: Request for discussion: Proposal to update the ARB section of the Community Governance doc

Ian Rae

For the record I agree with Paul (and Randy). I don't see the utility of the "ARB" at this time. I like the idea of a PTL meeting to replace it.

Ian Rae
CEO | PDG
c: 514.944.4008

CloudOps | Cloud Platform and Networking Solutions
www.cloudops.com | 423 Saint-Nicolas | Montreal | Canada

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 3:30 PM Paul Carver <pc2929@...> wrote:

I added a couple comments to the Google Doc, but if we’re going to revise the governance, I wonder if we should perhaps revisit the entire concept of the ARB.

We have a list of PTLs: https://github.com/tungstenfabric/docs/blob/master/Governance/TechnicalCommittee/Project_Team_Leads which is currently less than ideal because Sukhdev is essentially a placeholder for all of the development projects. The ARB allegedly divides the code base by areas of responsibility, but we haven’t published that division anywhere. The ARB doesn’t hold meetings. The ARB hasn’t conducted any votes. I personally review every spec in the contrail-specs repo, but this isn’t actually a requirement of ARB members to do so, it’s just something I personally feel I should do. I don’t know if any of the other ARB members review every spec, but I suspect that they probably don’t. We have an ARB mailing list https://lists.tungsten.io/g/arb/topics but there is exactly ONE post to that mailing list since we established it and that post is from me, just checking that the mailing list works.

Perhaps what we really should do is diversify the list of PTLs and schedule a monthly PTL meeting in place of the never ARB meetings.

Given the tightly interlinked nature of Tungsten Fabric we could grant all PTLs the right to -2 commits in any project (as was granted to ARB members (incidentally, I’m an ARB member and I don’t think my Gerrit permissions were ever updated to actually grant me -2 privileges across all projects)) and re-review all the ARB privileges and responsibilities that we documented in order to ensure that they are appropriate to the aggregate group of PTLs.

It might also be less confusing to other Open Source communities if we simply have a council of PTLs rather than an Architecture Review Board.

--

Paul Carver

VoIP: 732-545-7377

Cell: 908-803-1656