Re: [discuss] So what does Gerrit actually get us, anyway?

Will Stevens

Obviously, I am +1 for this, but I need to better understand what is needed here.

I suspect the following pieces need to be accounted for:
- The contributors github ID needs to be paired with a CLA.  I know this is a solved problem as I am part of other communities who do this, but we do need to set it up.
- A process/bot needs to be setup to handle the +1 (etc) votes.
- The CI and Github need to be configured to kick off CI runs on opening a PR and/or manually.

Are there other items I am missing?

Cheers,

Will Stevens
Chief Technology Officer
c 514.826.0190

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 12:36 PM VM (Vicky) Brasseur via Lists.Tungsten.Io <vmb=juniper.net@...> wrote:

Adding dev@, since the devs have skin in this game.

From: <discuss@...> on behalf of "VM (Vicky) Brasseur via Lists.Tungsten.Io" <vmb=juniper.net@...>
Date: Monday, June 10, 2019 at 12:32 PM
To: "discuss@..." <discuss@...>
Subject: [discuss] So what does Gerrit actually get us, anyway?

Will and I are sitting here in the lovely CloudOps offices in beautiful Montreal, having a little 2-person TF hackathon, and we got to talking…

Real Soon Now™,  we'll be moving the repos from Juniper to Gerrit and then mirroring them from Gerrit to GitHub.

But what exactly does Gerrit do for us, anyway?

Wouldn't just going directly from Juniper to GitHub and not do Gerrit at all entice more people to contribute and dramatically improve the contributor experience?

Neither of us have yet seen an explanation for why Gerrit *needs* to be involved at all.

Could someone please explain why it's needed and, if it turns out it's not really needed, could we please just not subject our community to the misery of having to use Gerrit?

--V

Join dev@lists.tungsten.io to automatically receive all group messages.